This year, more than ever before, the story of the Maccabees fighting for Jewish identity and pride resonates with Jews around the globe.
Showcase Jewish pride – however it looks for your community – by participating in the Movement-wide hashtag campaign #BeAMaccabee through the end of Hanukkah!
The original story of Hanukkah contains a kaleidoscope of themes and messages. This year, we are focusing on the story of the Maccabees’ resistance to assimilation as a parallel to our modern-day need for Jewish pride.
The Maccabees were warriors who fought to protect Jewish identity and had a fierce pride in their Jewishness, ultimately recovering the Temple and lighting the Ner Tamid, the eternal lamp of the Jewish people which still shines in synagogues around the world today.
The story of the Maccabees gives us strength and resilience in the face of terror and antisemitism at home and abroad.
Want to participate as an organization? Access our media toolkit here for sharable and customizable images.
Want to contribute to Exploring Judaism? Write 3-7 sentences about what Jewish pride means to you.
#BeAMaccabee Post Ideas
The most important post you can make is showcasing Jewish pride in your home and community! Consider posting images like these.
- Hanukkiot/menorahs and candle lighting
- Hanukkah foods like latkes, sufganiyot, or any Jewish foods you love
- Your family playing dreidel
- The mezuzah on the front entrance of your home
- Throwback photos from trips to Israel
- Your Jewish collections: siddurim, kippot, dreidels, Judaica, or anything else you collect
- Anything else that shows your Jewish pride!
Please remember to use #BeAMaccabee on any post you share so we can engage with it!
Don’t forget to check back here for updated content!